Tuesday, February 21, 2012

TWD - Chocolate Truffle Tartlets



As I mentioned in my last post, I am doing TWD with my mom. My mom and dad put 3 kids through college on a teacher and newspaper editor salary. As a result, my mom was the queen of making do with what you have. She made an art of it. So imagine my surprise when my mom sprung for the cute little tart pans. I almost did, but then remembered summer camp fees, piano lessons and soccer fees. So I made do with what I had - a 9" tart pan and three 4" mini cake pans. And it turned out fine.


I wanted to love this recipe and it was very good, but with all the recipes that I still want to try, I don't think I will make this again. I think what prevented this from being a great recipe is the crust. I should have known that baking a crust for only 12-15 minutes at 350 in humid Sugar Land, TX does not a good crust make. I wanted a crispier crust to counterbalance the creamy fillings. I found the crust to be kind of soggy. I will say the next day after the tart sat in the fridge, I liked it more and the crust did not bother me as much.




My daughter loved this recipe, my son said "six out of 10 stars" and my husband who doesn't like chocolate (gasp, I know) didn't try it.

The biscotti recipe that I used for the tarts is a great one. I hadn't made it in awhile, so I was glad to resurrect it for this project. Here's the recipe - it comes from Southern Living:


7 comments:

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Thanks for baking along in the TWD:BWJ Group.

Emily Thome said...

High five to you for making do with what you had - they turned out great! I'm glad you were also a little underwhelmed. Despite my butter issues, I still wasn't completely in love. I LOVE that you live in Sugar Land - how perfect is that? :)

Peggy the Baker said...

I liked this tart but I have to admit that Dorie has some better ones in "Baking from My Home to Yours". I think it's great that you and your mom are baking together in TWD! I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Im At Home Baking said...

It is fun to bake with others! Looks delicious :)

Cher Rockwell said...

It's great that the two of you are doing this together!
Sugarland in February isn't as bad as Sugarland in July (I regularly travel to Freeport for my job and try to stay away in July and August...)
Looks good!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your cake plates! :) Your tarts look fabulous!

Alice @ http://acookingmizer.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Your tarts look delicious.