Tuesday, February 19, 2013

If I didn't speak Spanish...


...I would swear that Boca Negra meant disaster or big fat mess.  When I flipped this out of the pan, a disaster was lurking behind the parchment paper.  I should have taken the advice of others on the P&Q page and baked this for longer than 30 minutes.  It came together beautifully.  Even the butter incorporated very smoothly, so I had such high hopes for this.  The top of the cake look just as described in the book after 30 minutes, but it just wasn't long enough to hold it's shape.  The taste of the "cake" wasn't bad.  I served it in cups like pudding, but because it was not baked long enough it was so rich that more than a couple bites was enough. I'll be curious if anyone was able to get this work with a 30 minute bake time.

10 comments:

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen said...

Mine came out like yours, so I decided to call it pudding cake. We did eat it with a spoon from a bowl!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was rich at any length of baking! Your idea of serving in cups is great! Kristine Mika

smarkies said...

Mine came out like yours as well even though I lenghthened the bake time. But I put it in the fridge without cutting into it so that it could harden up.
Interesting to find out that others had similar issues with their cakes.

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

I had to cook mine for an additional 15 minutes to get the crisp top. It cracked after flipping it on to the cake plate - but oh so good!

Have Apron....Will Bake said...

I baked mine for a whole 20 extra minutes. I knew there was no way it was done after 30 minutes. I don't think they should give instructions like that, as everyone's oven is different.
It is a very rich dessert, and a little goes a long way.

Marlise said...

I had a pudding cake too. A little disappointing. And flipping it out of the pan made a mess of the "cake". But it did taste delicious!

Cher Rockwell said...

sorry you had issues - bummer.
It sounds like the success factor was split this week - desserts like this always scare me a little (I usually am a bad judge of doneness...)
Good idea to serve in cups!

Anonymous said...

Mine stayed together after roughly 30 minutes, and flipped over OK. Maybe I got lucky? I also used a lined spring form pan, which made releasing the cake easier. Hmm...it would also make a good gooey pudding, even if it doesn't want to stay solid?

Kathy said...

I baked mine only 30 minutes…after I turned it onto a cake plate(where it cracked along one side) I let it sit for about an hour before cutting and serving it! I really don’t know it that helped, but it was delicious!!
Sorry you had problems with it.

loavesandstitches said...

Mine baked for 31 minutes and came out ok. It was definitely fudgey, but held its shape. Sorry this did not turn out for you!